Story Pics

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

CHAPTER 41 AND 42

CHAPTER 41


Nicadea circled the settlement, caution since her capture by the Romans. Even in a Celtic camp, there could be spies. She didn’t want anything to endanger her freedom. She rather live in the wild forever than go back. Waiting until the sky was completely dark, she moved forward slowly toward a group of dancers. They were swaying back and forth rhythmically to the soft tones of chanters. The movement was hypnotic, bringing back memories of her own village.

She squatted in the shadows, staying back too far to be seen. The dancers were young, but she knew the older family members would join in before the evening was over. A pot of stew simmered over a nearby fire causing her mouth to water. The village was large. Maybe she could pass herself off in the darkness.

She had almost convinced herself to join in when the approach of one of the village men stopped her. Even in the near darkness, he looked familiar to her, a fair-haired, strapping man from her home group named Evian. He had been a frequent visitor to her home, and they had become friends. He would help her. She knew he would.

When he was near enough to touch, she stepped out of the shadows. At first he was wary, tensing into a fighting stance. He was ready to attack. “Evian, it’s me. Nicadea.” She hesitated to say anything else, before she had gauged his reaction.

“Nicadea?”

“Yes, it’s me.”

He took a step in her direction. “But how did you get here? I thought you were dead.”

“I thought you were.”

He clasped her by both hands, pulling her forward. “You are welcome here, Nicadea. These are good people. How did you escape from the Romans?”

“I didn’t. I was taken captive. I’ve been working with the other slaves.”

“Did he hurt you?”

His concern seemed genuine. “No. I was left alone.”

“How did you get away?”

She explained what had happened. By the time she was finished, people were lining up to eat. He offered her a bowl of stew, which she eagerly accepted. For the first time since the Romans had invaded her village, she was happy.

CHAPTER 41


Mikelle stirred, his mind trying hard to cover the noise disturbing his sleep. Turning, he threw his arm across the woman beside him, pulling her close. She moved against him, her hips fitting snuggly against his. He didn’t want to wake up—to leave the warmth of his bed to check out the noise outside the tent. The sleep had been recuperative, and he felt more relaxed than he had since he’d left Rome.

Two men were arguing outside his tent. He recognized one as the voice of his guard. The other voice was unfamiliar to him.

“The General will want to see me. One of his slaves has escaped.”

“He has many slaves. The General will not wish to be awakened.”

“I demand to see him. His slave attacked me.”

Mikelle didn’t wait to hear more. His sleep was ruined already, and his curiosity was fully aroused. The men parted as he stepped outside the tent.

“What is the shouting about? ”

The guard spoke first. “I’m sorry, General. This man wants to report a runaway slave who he claimed attacked him.”

Mikelle stared at the red-haired man. “What do you have to report to me?”

“One of your female slaves hit me over the head and fled the camp. I demand she be found and punished.”

“How do you know it was one of my slaves?”

“Because I was with you in camp when she was first discovered. She was a priestess. You took her from a cave. Later, she fled into the woods. We searched and brought her back. I remember her very well.”

Mikelle turned from the man. He remembered her too. He had brought her on this crusade to teach her a lesson. After that, he had his own plans for the wench. He spoke to the guard.

“Get the men ready to move. I want this woman found and brought back to me before nightfall.”








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home